Thursday 30 July 2020

20mm Argentine 105mm Recoilless Rifle Part 1

The start of the 105mm Recoilless Rifle for my 20mm Argentinians. As regulars know my force is being built around the defence of Mount Longdon so that's the look I'm after. It'll be a single base with 4 man crew featuring a Sanger type structure that the weapon was situated in on the feature. Here's some pics. This is a preserved example of the weapon.
Some period photos

The pic below is on Longdon in 1983, the year after the war

The exact weapon, Argentina's Model 1968 RCL, isn't available so I picked up a Sgt's Mess 105mm RCL and an Under Fire Miniatures Wombat to cut up and convert.
The bits I'm working with
I ended up using the Sgt's Mess 105mm barrel and the wheeled carriage from the wombat, I had to add slightly larger wheels and increase the width of the carriage.
For the barrel I added a Venturi and thickened the barrel up at the rear with a bit miliput, a small piece of plastruct was added to the muzzle as well.
I've also started work on a 4 man crew using Liberation Miniatures, I wanted a guy holding a shell so small conversion after getting the shell dimensions is underway.
Next up will be the ammunition, shells, packing tubes and cases.
Dougie

1 comment: